Our living values
Our Work Resources
We are a global feminist agency working to advance gender equality and end violence against women and girls (VAWG). How we work matters as much as what we do. We are values-driven and underpinned by feminist principles in the ways we work and how we conduct ourselves. We actively apply an understanding of intersectionality in our work and aim to have diversity reflected in our workforce.
Our values are active. They are not merely slogans but are imbedded into the structure of our organisation, and manifest in the approach we take, work we do, and systems we build.
We approach everything with an intersectional feminist lens. While violence affects women and girls across the world, different layers of people’s identities—such as their socio-economic status, indigeneity, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation, gender identity, HIV status, minority status, age, and so on—impact the ways in which they are discriminated against and the types of violence perpetrated against them. Thus, our work aims to address not just gender inequality but all forms of inequality and systems of oppression in an interconnected way.
We ask questions instead of making assumptions and take an evidence-based approach to create effective change. We recognise vulnerability as a strength and dare to be different. We actively find the joy and share it, and we create systems that enable and support self and collective care.
STRIVE FOR EQUALITY
- We understand and acknowledge our own privilege and power and use it to facilitate spaces to amplify the voices of those historically excluded or marginalised.
- We foster a diverse workplace where everyone feels a sense of belonging.
- We hold each other accountable in kind and productive ways.
- We approach everything with an intersectional lens.
- We lead by example.
- We challenge systems of oppression, including the systems which benefit us.
- We practise integrity and empathy when working with one another.
- We speak truth to power.
- We observe and ask questions instead of making assumptions or judgements to understand what is happening and what is at the root of any problem.
- We take an evidence-based approach to create effective change.
- We seek out partnerships, work in close collaboration with others and value different forms of expertise and knowledge.
- We listen deeply and with an open mind.
- We foster constructive dialogue on difficult issues.
- We seek out opportunities for continuous learning and growth.
- We practise self-reflection.
- We look for creative solutions instead of focusing only on the problem.
- We dare to be different and take risks that align with our vision.
- We take ownership for communicating clearly.
- We are willing to sit with discomfort in order to serve the work we do.
- We ask for help when we need it.
- We take responsibility for our actions and are not afraid of making mistakes.
- We give and receive feedback that is clear, constructive, and respectful.
- We are not afraid to say no and set boundaries.
- We recognise vulnerability as a strength.
FIND THE JOY
- We practise gratitude as a team.
- We bring a sense of possibility and imagination to our work.
- We make time to play and embrace laughter.
- We celebrate our wins and the wins of others.
- We model positivity in everything we do.
- We strive to lighten things when they feel heavy.
- We own the energy we bring to the table.
- We create systems that enable and support self and collective care, recognising that means different things for different people.